Tuesday, 27 March 2012

The Bishopston Mini-Triathletes!!!

I was rubbish at PE and games at school. Well, actually I was most rubbish in PE - I couldn't clear a vaulting horse to save my life, though unbelievably I could climb a rope. My hand/eye coordination was rubbish too, so at an early age I discovered having to play rounders equalled an hour's torture - I don't think I ever managed to hit the ball with that silly little stick. Later, at Grammar School, I was full of admiration and envy for the lithe girls who captained the hockey and tennis teams, and competed on Sports Day in all the field and track events. I so much wanted to be like them - I wanted to BE them! To me, they were the epitome of glamour.

And then came marriage and motherhood. Terry, my husband, was very sporty. When I was expecting our children, I knew he wanted a boy to play football - and the rest -with. Two girls came along, but joy of joy, both were really sporty like him. They both ran, Suzie was in netball, hockey and tennis teams, and both excelled in the swimming pool, Terri as a high-level synchro swimmer, Suzie speed. Our sideboard groaned under all the cups they won, and I could have taken out shares in a firm selling silver polish. As I had pointed out, a boy might have taken after me and not been sporty at all.

Oh, how proud of them I was! The pleasure that came from seeing them do well at something I had always wanted to do but never could was immense, far outweighing the fact that neither of them seemed the slightest bit interested in 'my' things - drama and writing.

And now I'm proud all over again. This weekend my two youngest grandchildren, Dan (8) and Amelia (6), together with a group of six of their friends did a mini-triathlon in aid of Sport Relief. The Bishopston Mini-Triathlon, they called it - a swim, a half-mile run and a 4-mile bike ride. And between them they've raised over £1000 for the charity!


Didn't they do well?

Congratulations to the Bishopston Eight!!

3 comments:

  1. That's a lovely story and you are very much like myself. I was always rubbish at PE couldn't catch a ball and still can't. I quite like yoga now though,but haven't practised for a while.I wasn't much good at swimming as I am frightened of the water. I have done the Race for life about four or five times though a few years ago. Only walking I might add, not running! It's wonderful when young kids embrace sport and enjoy raising money for others. My youngest daughter and I sponsored two little tots who are regulars at Starbucks where we work. The one is five or six and the other about three or four. They were doing a mile for Sport Relief but I expect it took them ages as they are so tiny in stature. Lets hope your grandchildren carry on enjoying their sport for years to come. My eldest daughter has joined the gym recently and took a shine to the Gym instructor who was doing her induction.She commented that it is such a pity that he will only see her in sweaty t-shirts and leggings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff, Jo!
      I go to the gym, too, and I have to say I think I'm in better shape these days than some of those athletic girls I envied so much. They took it for granted, perhaps, whereas I knew I'd have to work at keeping fit!
      Hope your daughter's gym instructor takes a shine to her too! And not to worry about the sweaty t-shirts and leggings - all the other girls will be similarly attired! Who knows, as a sportsman himself, it could well be what turns him on! (Do tell her not to fall off the back of the treadmill whilst sneaking a peep at him, though!)

      Delete
  2. Congratulions to the children they have done so well. I too was rubbish at PE and no way could I vault a horse I used to keep going to the back of the line.I carried a bandage in my schoolbag and always said I had a sore ankle.I couldn't play hockey at all and it was made worse at having to play it in navy knickers. I also have two very sporty children and my hubby cycles while I write so I still hate sport.

    ReplyDelete